Morning wooly mammoths! I knew you weren’t extinct! I just knew it!
More sewing room stuff today, although sharp peepers may be able to spy the dress that I finished this weekend! But, since the cutting table doesn’t have to do his or her hair and get pictures during the late afternoon when the sun is best, all y’all are getting another sewing room update! Plus, I just finished edging the table last night and Mr. Bug
helped me put up the lighting, so I’m super stoked!
Going clockwise around the cutting table, I’ve got one of my FAVORITE parts of the new sewing nook! Project baskets! And a cutting station-type-area.
Let’s go look at the utility fabric, shall we? Man, oh man, do I have a lot of white fabric!
This side is another Closetmaid cube with all of my white and off-white non-garment making (almost) fabrics.
I had a really hard time figuring out how to organize (and identify!) all this stuff! Here’s what I ended up doing.
Let’s go look at the pressing side!
I set up all the stuff I’d need for pressing on this side, close to an outlet for the iron.
Over to the left I have three bins for interfacing – one each for fusible, sew in and all of my silk organza (well, I have it in black or white…) In the center top I have my tailor’s ham, then underneath that my glue gun which obviously isn’t a pressing tool, but DOES need electricity, so I thought this was a good home for it. On the right I have a home for the iron, then a basket with strips of fusible interfacing that I’ve cut on the bias along with my steam a seam. You mammoths all know how much I love that stuff! Underneath that is my spray starch and lint roller.
You can also see all the way to the left my awesome hanging bars!
Here’s a close up. These are utility drawer handles – you get them at the hardware store with the hinges and doorstops – NOT with the fancy cabinet handles. I like these kind because the screws attach from the outside, not from the inside like most fancy door handles. I got a package of S hooks from Ikea and these make a perfect spot to hang my spray bottle and pressing cloths. I feel particularly clever as I have two muslin pressing cloths – one is all gunky from the glue from interfacing and I sewed a different colored ribbon loop onto that one so I know which is which without having to grope them.
As I said above, I used the same handle on the cutting side of the table to hand my scissors and rotary cutter. I also hung my flexible tape measure over that and if I EVER recover my tailor’s ham, I’ll probably include a hanging loop so I can hang that here on this side as well!
Construction and cost
I thought I should include a few notes if any of you would like to make the same sort of cutting table. First, here’s the materials list and cost.
4 x 8 melamine sheet from Home Depot ($35) – I had them cut down to 36″ x 59″ which gives me a 4.5″ overhang on each short end.
A roll of melamine tape to finish the cut edges ($15) – This stuff is super easy to use, you just iron it on!
(3) Closetmaid cube units ($35 each/$105 total) – we got ours on sale, I think they are normally $40 or $45
(10) Closetmaid fabric sqares ($8 for a set of 2/$40 total) – we got ours on sale, they are normally $12 for two
(2) Antonius units with desktops ($54)
(2) Utility handles ($5 each/$10 total)
Bag of S-hooks from Ikea ($1)
Screws – two bags of 1″ #12 screws to attach the top to the sides ($1) and a few spares to attach the handles to the unit
Total cost $261
Now for the building, it was fairly easy. As far as tools, we used our drill and electric screwdriver, a mallet, an iron, and that was about it. I wasn’t quite sure how to attach everything, and in the end we attached two of the Closetmaid cubes – the ones on the short ends – with screws to the top and we just slid the side Closetmaid in after we got it right side up. I figured that the weight over everything would stabilize it quite well and I just wanted to keep the top from sliding off. My preference was to NOT have screws showing on the cutting top, if possible.
We laid the melamine down on the floor, then placed the first Closetmaid unit on top of that, 4.5″ from the edge (to create the overhang.) We drilled holes through the Closetmaid unit to the table top. The holes were about 1″ deep (the Closetmaid stuff is 1/2″ thick, the melamine top is 3/4″ thick) and marked that depth on the drill bit with a bit of painters tape. We drilled two holes in the front of the side cubbies and two holes in the back of the center cubby so there are six screws attaching each unit to the table.
After we attached the first unit I measured to make sure there was enough clearance to fit in the side units. And then I measured again. I BARELY left enough space to get that third unit in, so I should have measured a third time!! Then we attached the other end with six screws. After that we very, very carefully ‘rolled’ it to its side, then upright. The melamine top is tough, but those Closetmaid units are a bit thin and I was scared that we’d break them! Once upright it’s pretty easy to move around, as long as you hold on to the Closetmaid units and not the top!
Off I go, but before I do, thanks to Diary of a Renaissance Seamstress for her great inspiration!